Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Some knitting practice

This pattern was meant for chunky weight yarn and something larger than size 6 needles, but that was what I had. The pattern also called for cotton or a cotton-bamboo blend, but all that Jo-Ann and Walmart have is acrylic or wool blends. Does anyone know where I can get better yarn?

This was modified from a pattern I found on Ravelry.


Cast on 24 stitches.
Knit 6 rows.
{Purl 1 row.
Knit 5 rows.} x 5
Knit 1 row.
Bind off.



The reason the rows are so crooked is because I'm getting used to a new way of knitting. Up until now, I've been cheating when I knit and purl. I've been using my left hand to wrap the yarn around the right needle, which means I let go of the left needle for a moment. It means my rows have been tight and straight but this is just a hack. I'm not going to get any faster that way.

For the moment, knitting the correct way is awkward and a bit painful but it is getting better. My rows are getting looser too.

No comments:

Post a Comment