Thursday, June 20, 2013

Salmon Chirashizushi




This little dish is smoked salmon chirashi-zushi, Japanese for scattered rice. Today, it's sushi rice mixed with smoked salmon, modified from the recipe here. I just cooked 1 cup of dry rice, folded in 1/3 cup of rice vinegar and a pinch of salt and sugar, and scattered the shredded fish on top before mixing up the entire thing. Sadly, the Alaskan Sock-Eye doesn't taste nearly as good as Atlantic salmon so the taste was strange. It was saltier than I had hoped.

I don't have exactly numbers: based on previously dishes, the rice came to about $0.30 while the entire package of salmon was about $6. That's a pretty expensive dish for me (even if it serves 2) and taste-wise, that's not good value.

I think I'll wait to have chirashi at my favorite Japanese restaurant the next time I'm in the mood for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment