Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Fringe on the Blue Scarf

At long last, The Blue Scarf is finally finished!

 This:

became this:



It had, of course, been done for months but I decided that it needed a fringe. And because I lacked time and a large enough crochet hook, it languished in my craft bag until Tuesday when I decided that I needed to do more than wrap presents and clean my room.

I first turned to my handy dandy pocket-sized Knitting for Dummies but it only had instructions for making tassels. I then turned to The All New Teach Yourself To Knit booklet and lo and behold there was a section on making fringes.

I then modified the instructions. I wrapped yarn around a CD three times, slipped it off, and cut one side. I used the crochet hook to pull the yarn through the bottom weave of the scarf and then pulled the cut ends through the loop.




























The end result looked like a mop.

I trimmed the edges and it was over! It didn't take nearly as long as I thought.




Some notes about the scarf:

The yarn was Lion Brand, though I no longer remember the exact color. Perhaps some sort of Safari Blue? I first bought two skeins from Hancocks back in the spring of 2011 when I wanted to make a scarf for my Dad's birthday.

You might think that I never gave him the scarf and you would be right.

I used size 13 metal needles and they were wonderful. True, the yarn sometimes slipped off, but it was large enough to slip back on easily enough and the needles never stabbed me.

The scarf was knitted in garter stitch, except for a few rows at either end that I knitted in stockinette for a border. This made it very easy to bring to class and work on, especially during the times when my multi-variable professor rambled on about faeries and the class just stared blankly at him.

The good thing about garter stitch is that if you don't constantly need to be writing, you can pay the same amount of attention in class and still work on the scarf, if you are an audio learner like me.

At some point I decided I wanted a fringe on it and got another skein. I don't know if this was before or after I decided that the scarf was long enough and finished it. It has wasted away in my craft bag waiting to be finished ever since.

I had hoped to use up the big ball of yarn, but I can't put more tassels on and the ball isn't finished yet. I suppose it will rest with the other left over balls of yarn that I have.

I don't know what I'm going to do with it. That is the problem that I have with my knitting projects - I don't know what they are for. It's a scarf, obviously, but am I going to wear it? Probably not.

It doesn't help that I think garter stitch is rather ugly, but stockinette curls, even when I edge it with a few stitches of garter stitch. It will probably end up joining my other scarves in a pile in my room.

2 comments:

  1. This is probably the most useful thing to come out of multivariable. Congratulations on your scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Do you remember the cross stitch of the Wren building I was also doing at the time? I have that framed.

    ReplyDelete