Friday, March 23, 2012

The Felt Hat

Another thing I've been doing in class is pulling a felt hat.

The felt body (the actual piece of shaped felt) was ordered from a place called ManHatCo - they are really nice people. I got to visit their shop in NYC during Spring Break.


The black thing is a hat block made of plastic, ordered from HatShapers.com. It is the Fedora, size small.

It was my intention to make a Tyrolean hat, which is why I chose the fedora hat block.

Pulled the hat wasn't hard, just time-consuming. I started by soaking the hat in warm water and stretched it out the hat block. It doesn't want to form that form, so I had to keep pulling at it. I put elastic over the base to keep the base stretched so it wouldn't snap back to its original form.

I also loaded it down with chains wrapped in plastic bags so it wouldn't snap back, especially at the crown.

Felt takes a while to dry, so I did this right before leaving for break. When I got back, the felt had dried to the right shape - mostly. the base was very wrinkly.

I spent about two hours with a steamer in order to steam out the wrinkles. I didn't get them all, but it no longer looks wrinkled.




After all that, I could finally measure out how long I wanted the brim to be and cut off the excess.

I still have to turn back and sew the edges and trim the crown.

No comments:

Post a Comment