Monday, July 21, 2014

Edging and Blocking the Hexagons

Almost done with the dishcloth. 

I wanted to make this piece more professional so I tried to fill in the gaps and add a border.


The original pattern didn't include a way to make half-hexagons to fill in the gaps on the side. A little Google Fu turned up Polka Dot Cottage, which also includes a way to make regular hexagons. This site, meanwhile, was exactly what I was looking for a month ago.


You might think that the half-hexagons don't fit the space and that's... accurate. Turns out the new hexagon pattern is much bigger than the one I used, so I had to wing it. Specifically, I skipped Rows 3 and 5 in the pattern and whip stitched the half-hexagons into place.

I then tried to do something for the corners and the inverted triangles, took a second look at the difference between my hexagons and the pattern's hexagons and decided to screw it.

That left the border.


I did a single crochet border using the below tutorial, which I think helps to... contain the piece. My dishcloth looks more polished and less like I gave up on it.



I can finally say I've blocked a piece. I never blocked my knitting pieces but after reading this, I decided it would be a good idea.


The dishcloth is lying flat now.

I also crocheted a new hexagon using the pattern found above. It's twice as large as my original hexagons.


Polka Dot Cottage also contained a tutorial for winding a skein of yarn into a center pull ball using just a pencil.


This project was a good idea. I improved my crocheting skills, learned how to edge and block a piece, controlled my skein of yarn and found a new project in the form of a hexagon blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment