Friday, February 24, 2012

Buckram Foundation - The Cavalier Hat

I am making progress on the hat - I have cut my pattern pieces out of the crown buckram.

 The next step was to sew millinery wire to the edges of the crown and brim. This keeps it from collapsing or flopping over. The wire also keeps the brim flat.


True to form, I broke a sewing needle when I first started and then just sewed the wire by turning the hand crank - I only used the pedal when I was halfway around.

I did the entire brim edge by crank - and yes, it took a while. Luckily I am use to this sort of thing so it didn't drive me crazy.

My camera is not the best for close-ups of this nature. 

 This is a better picture for seeing the wire around the edge of the brim.

The next step is to cover the buckram with cloth - luckily, the Costume Shop is a dragon's hoard for this sort of thing, and I have found the black fabric that I want to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment