Friday, February 10, 2012

Flat Patterning the Cavalier Hat

As it turns out, this semester I am in a millinery (hatmaking) class! We make four hats over the course of the semester - and the first one is a flat patterned buckram hat.

Buckram is a treated, stiff cotton fabric that holds its shape really well. For this reason, it's used as a foundation for hats that can be made out of flat pieces, essentially, the top of a hat, the sideband, and the brim. Hats like pillboxes and boaters.

And as it happens, cavalier hats.

Below is a picture of my pattern, cut out of brown paper so I could test the fit.

I carefully measured out the scale drawing of a Cavalier hat from the pattern in From the Neck Up. So once again, I have given my teachers the impression that I am a math major.

As it happened, the crown would not fit my head, so I needed to set aside those pieces and try again.

More pictures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment