Friday, January 6, 2012

Theatre Camp - Session 1

For the last week I have been at a theatre camp which puts on a musical in the two and a half weeks before school starts for spring semester. It's student-directed, student-acted, student-built student-advertised and students hang lights and sew costumes. The actors and musicians, when not practicing, are assigned to different backstage crews like lighting and paint.

My part in this is what we call perma-crew, which means I spend the entire day building the set. This is my second year doing this job and I work in the school theatre on the sets during the year when we put on plays. This means I get the more difficult jobs because most people assigned to this crew have no idea what they are doing.

The net result of spending 9.5 hours a day on that means I have little time to spend on my knitting and other projects. Updates will get better when I actually have time to work on it.

In other news - I spent over an hour getting a carriage bolt out of a stage extension the other day. None of the  usual methods were working. Look how many tools I used!

In no order: three hammers, a mallet, two prybars, a screwdriver, pliers, vice-grips, nail punches, a 9/16 wrench , a 6 inch adjustable wrench, and the wrangler cordless drill


Not pictured is the wrangler impact wrench and the air hose as well as the box I was standing on. For the record -I rejoiced when the bolt finally came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment