Friday, March 29, 2013

Smoked Haddock with Chive, Pea and Potato Crush

Smoked Haddock with Chive, Pea and Potato Crush
Serves 2
Ingredients
  • 300g small salad potatoes, halved
  • 2 handfuls frozen peas
  • 50g butter
  • 2 smoked haddock fillets, about 150g each
  • a splash white wine or chicken stock (optional)
  • ½ small bunch chives , chopped
  1. Cook the potatoes until tender, then add the frozen peas for the last 2 minutes of cooking. Gently crush with half the butter.
  2. Heat the rest of the butter in a pan and cook the haddock for 3 minutes on each side. Remove the haddock then add a splash of wine or chicken stock and reduce a little. Stir in the chives.
  3. Put the potato on 2 plates, top with the haddock and the chive butter.





Hmm, is the story of the story 'don't buy fish from Tesco?' I think so. I don't know why the haddock here was dyed and I wasn't quite sure when it was done. It didn't taste raw at least. I don't think I will re-try this with haddock from the fisherman.

I think I need to focus more on 'fresh' foods, where I know where the ingredients come from. That will provide better tasting food, I'm sure.

200g Smoked Haddock: EUR 2.94 at Tesco
Chives, 1/3 of a packet at EUR 1.19/packet = EUR 0.40 at Tesco
Peas, 2/3 of a can at EUR 0.69/can = EUR 0.46 at Tesco
Baby Potatoes, 1/3 of a bag at EUR 1.19/bag = EUR 0.40 at Tesco
Butter, about EUR 0.10 at Tesco
Total Cost: EUR 4.30 for two servings or EUR 2.15 for one serving

No comments:

Post a Comment