Friday, March 1, 2013

Tuna Sweet Potato Jackets

This week I wanted try out gluten-free recipes, just to see if I can do it. I hope to show off one new meal a day.

Tuna Sweet Potato Jackets
Serves 1
Ingredients
  • 1 small sweet potato
  • 1/2 of a 185g can tuna in spring water, drained
  • 1 shallot, finely sliced
  • lemon juice (optional)
  • 1-2 tbsp Greek yogurt
  1. Scrub the sweet potatoes and prick all over with a fork. Place on a microwaveable plate and cook on High for 18-20 mins, or until tender. Boil the sweet potato until tender. Split in half and place each one, cut-side up, on a serving plate.
  2. Flake the drained tuna with a fork and divide between the halves. Top with the red onion, then squeeze over the lemon juice. Top with a dollop of yogurt and serve.

I take back what I said before - this is the worst thing I have made yet. The actual meal was average but the preparation was horrendous. The directions say to cook in the microwave for 20 minutes. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO THIS. 

This is what happens:







So. Much. Smoke.

I proceeded to boil another potato.






As far as coherent meals go, this one failed badly. The tuna and yogurt would fall off so the sweet potatoes weren't really 'boats'. 

I can't recommend this and I definitely will not be making this again.

Sweet Potatoes: EUR 0.85 at Tesco
Tuna Fish, 1/2 of a can at EUR 1.49/can = EUR 0.75 at Tesco
Shallot, 1 of a bag of 6 at EUR 0.79/bag = EUR 0.13 at Lidl
Greek Yogurt, 1 container out of a package of 4 at EUR 1.59/package = EUR 0.40 at Lidl
Total Cost: EUR 2.13 for one serving

Friday March 1: Tuna Sweet Potato Jackets

No comments:

Post a Comment